Remember the vanishing closet from Harry Potter? You go in one place and come out in another. Of course, once a move hits you, you’ll want to be in that closet, so you don’t see the magnitude of the disaster! But what do you do when the cabinet becomes the culprit of the hassle? One Wingardium Levios won’t do enough here because, in addition to transporting the closet itself, you must also take it apart, pack it properly, and load it. About how to do this without magic, and we will tell in our article.
Content of the article:
1. In what cases is it necessary to transport the cabinet
2. General recommendations for transporting a cabinet
3. Types of modern cabinets and their design features
4. Do you have to dismantle the cabinet at all?
5. How to disassemble a cabinet correctly and how not to lose fittings and fasteners
6. How to pack the cabinet for transportation
7. What kind of transportation is needed to transport the closet?
8. How to properly load and unload the cabinet
9. How to reassemble the cabinet at a new location
10. The closet is there, with no problems.
11. How much does it cost to move the closet
12. Why it’s better to pay an experienced company and not suffer
When you need to move the closet
You can’t go without a closet, and it can’t go without you – absolutely any home has at least a small closet for sure. But even small cabinets are entitled to competent transportation. So let’s list the situations in which you will benefit from our article:
- Buying a new closet in a store – especially if there’s no home delivery option or you don’t want to wait for streaming delivery;
- Buying a used cabinet “from hand” – in this case, the delivery option may be there, but not always – given that the cabinet can be expensive and almost new, again it is recommended to approach its transportation as responsibly as possible, so as not to entrust the vehicle to the stream;
- Apartment, cottage, house, and even office moving – in this case, besides the closet, you will also have a massive box with things and other large appliances and furniture – the main thing in this case, do not spoil the closet, loading it with weights;
- A long business trip;
- When you are moving to study;
General recommendations for the transportation of the cabinet
When transporting a cabinet (or several cabinets) on your own, you need to be prepared for the fact that:
- It would help if you allocated time in advance – preferably a whole day to disassemble the cabinet, pack the fittings and boards, pack the glass doors, meet the movers, pull the cabinet from the apartment, load it, deliver, unload, assemble it back;
- You need to choose a suitable transport – to do this, measure the cabinet in height and width, if it is not disassembled, and if it is disassembled, the size of the boards. You will still need to be sure that the panels will not stick out of the body (it’s not safe);
- It would help if you bought appropriate packaging in advance – thick film, air bubble wrap for glass and fittings, corners for legs, tape;
- You will likely have to disassemble the closet yourself. This way, it will be safer and easier to load and transport it since it takes less space, and therefore there is less chance that you will damage it when you take it out of the apartment and load it into the car.
Types of modern cabinets and their design features
Such furniture can be cabinet, built-in, or semi-built-in, so the cabinet often depends on the overall furniture set and interior design. We will list the main types of cabinets that can be found in all kinds of interiors and design projects:
- Swinging cabinets. The most popular type of cabinets with the usual doors opening is when they ride open at 90 degrees. The advantage of such a closet is that you have a complete overview of everything.
- Sliding – the so-called closets. Their advantage is that they look great, they can be entire without accessories, which especially suits the lovers of loft style, high-tech, and minimalism, and they are indispensable in small apartments with a small area.
- Closets with folding door-type – are also convenient in homes with small area rooms, narrow corridors, and hallways.
Is it necessary to disassemble the cabinet at all?
Captain obviousness entered the chat – yes if it disassembles. The advantages of transporting in the dispersed form:
- It is easier for you to remove the closet from the apartment;
- The ability to unload the closet even if there is no freight elevator in the house;
- You will be able to safely pack the closet elements so that there is no risk of damaging them during loading against corners, door jambs, or getting them dirty on the street;
- This way, you take care of your health – even a tiny closet in assembled form weighs quite a bit – you do not need to break your back; it will be much easier to take it out piece by piece (although even in this case, it is recommended to perform loading by two).
How to disassemble the cabinet and how not to lose the fittings and fasteners
- When disassembling the closet, prepare several bags, which you will sign.
- For each type of fittings, nails, screws, self-tapping screws, and handles – a separate bag.
- Refrain from disassembling multiple cabinets or pieces of furniture simultaneously – you may need to mix up the parts.
- Start disassembly with a large item, assembling the most significant parts and fittings first, moving on to smaller pieces in stages.
- The fasteners should be signed on their sides (“top left,” “top right,” “middle left,” etc.). – this can be done by gluing a piece of painter’s tape – even an ordinary felt-tip pen writes well on it).
How to properly pack a closet for transportation
The whole closet, in any case, should be wrapped with tape, gluing the doors beforehand, so they don’t swing open. If you disassemble the cabinet, start packing with the more oversized items. Boards of the same size can be stacked together and filled in the dense stretch. On the legs, it is worth fixing unique covers or foam corners. All glass elements, shelves, and doors are packed in air bubble wrap.
What kind of transport is needed to transport the closet
There are two options: a passenger car (you can carry a lightweight closet on the vehicle’s roof, securely fastened with straps) or a truck. The cabinet must also be secured inside the car, so it doesn’t fall off when brazing. Using a particular furniture truck makes sense if you need to transport several cabinets at once (three, four, or more).
How to properly load and unload a closet
If you have the opportunity – it is better to use a special cart and freight elevator so as not to strain your back and not scratch the closet on the asphalt or floor in the hall.
How to assemble the closet at the new location
Start assembling with the most significant parts: the back wall, then the side walls, then the shelves, and in the last turn, the doors and small fittings.
The cabinet is there, no problems.
The most comfortable option is to leave the hassle of moving your closet to the professionals at Fireball North America . Not only do we help you move, but we also arrange individual furniture moves in a turnkey format, including moving your closet. For example, the movers at Fireball North America can help move a wardrobe, a cabinet with classic doors, and a chest of drawers closet. Best of all, Fireball North America movers are not just movers; they are true professionals. They have made thousands of moves and know how to move furniture quickly and safely. Turnkey – means that you won’t have to prepare for the move in any way – we will bring all the necessary packing, dismantle the closet with special tools, pack it carefully, and transport it to your new home.
How much does it cost to move the closet?
Everything is dependent upon the size of the closet and the travel distance, but because we are a turnkey service, packing and disassembly are already included in the cost of transportation. You can order the service from anywhere in America – we will move your closet to another apartment. Our manager will advise you on the final cost when you place your order.
Why is it better to pay an experienced company and not suffer
Moving the closet without disassembling it isn’t easy. And dismantling the cabinet is a different problem that will require a lot of time (in addition, you will have to reassemble it yourself). Suppose you immediately contact the professional movers at Fireball North America . In that case, you will not waste your energy and, most importantly save time on anything: consider that you have freed up two precious days, which should not have been spent on the disassembly and assembly of the cabinet. Plus, transportation safety is paramount so that your new wardrobe stays completely intact – Fireball North America has reliable trucks, cabinet transport carts, straps, packaging, and experienced professionals to make this happen. So let you have nothing but your closet and enjoy your new furniture or home, and we’ll take care of all the dusty work!
Related Post: Interview with Fireball North America Inc CEO — Oleg Timoshchuk